英语资讯
News

VOA常速英语:Guns and Suicide

Source: 恒星英语学习网    2020-07-29   English BBS   Favorite  
I havent looked at these pictures forever.This is Scott, the day that we bought our first home.
我再也没看过这些照片了。这是斯科特,我们买第一套房子的那天。
This is our first home in Tampa, Florida.
这是我们在佛罗里达州坦帕的第一个家。
Heres a picture from our wedding.Three or four years we knew each other before we got married.
这是我们婚礼的照片。我们结婚前认识了三四年。
He died the week before our tenth anniversary.
他在我们结婚十周年的前一周去世了。
He did attempt with pills and alcohol and it was not successful.My husband did have a handgun that he liked to use for target shooting.
他之前尝试吃药或喝酒自杀,但都没有成功。我丈夫有一把手枪,他喜欢拿来射击。
After his first suicide attempt, I did hide the gun.
在他第一次自杀未遂后,我就把枪藏起来了。
I knew it was not safe for him.A couple of months later though, he was doing a lot better.
我知道这对他不安全。几个月后,他就好多了。
He was getting a lot of help.He was improving and we were going to our familys vacation home in North Carolina
他得到了很多帮助。他情况日益好转,我们就准备去北卡罗来纳州的度假屋度假,
thats where hed like to shoot at targets.
他喜欢在那里射击。
So, he asked me for the gun back.I didnt want to give it to him, but he said he just wanted to feel normal and I understood that.
所以他就找我把枪要回去。我不想给他,但是他说想要过正常人的生活,我了解那种感受。
I wanted to feel normal.
我也想过上正常的生活。
I wanted everything to be back to normal.So, I returned his gun to him.
我希望一切都能恢复正常。所以,我把枪还给了他。
He went to the mountains and shot at some milk jugs and after that, I lost track of it.
他到山上朝牛奶罐开枪,然后我就没有在意了。
Truly, life was up and down and there was a lot going on.
真的,生活起起落落,发生了很多事情。
He had good days and bad days and I completely forgot about it.
他的状况时好时坏,我完全忘了他有枪这件事。
On the day that he died, I was at work.And he called me to say goodbye.
在他死的那天,我在上班。他打电话给我说向我告别。
And I raced home and found the closet just torn apart.And I knew as soon as I saw the chaos in the closet, I remembered the gun.
我跑回家发现壁橱破了。我一看到壁橱里一片混乱,就想起了那把枪。
He was in his car and the police approached him and tried to talk him out of it.
他坐在车里,警察找到他,试图劝他下车。
They talked to him for quite a while,
警察和他谈了很长时间,
but ultimately, he ended his life surrounded by police who were trying to help him.
但最终,他在试图帮助他的警察的包围下结束了自己的生命。
Right there? Right there, yeah.
往这儿?对,往这里。
And what kind of gun was this?
这是什么样的枪?
This was a.22 rifle and it was part of a buyback in New Haven, Connecticut.
这是一把22毫米口径的步枪,康涅狄格州纽黑文回购的一批。
We invite people to turn their guns in and working with the police,
我们呼吁人们把枪交出来,然后和警察合作,
we get them destroyed and then we make them into tools.
我们会销毁这些枪支,把它们做成其他工具。
It was a really therapeutic experience to take this hammer and beat it
拿着这把锤子打它,真是一次治疗性的经历。
and beat it into an instrument that will create life.
把枪支打造成一种能创造生命的工具,这真是一种治愈体验。
I came to Washington, DC from Jenkin Town, Pennsylvania,
我从宾夕法尼亚州的詹金镇来到华盛顿特区,
to attend the national vigil for all victims of gun violence.
参加全国枪支暴力受害者的守夜活动。
It was an opportunity to gather together with survivors of gun violence loss.
这是一个机会,让因枪支暴力受害的家人聚集到一起。
There were children as young as six months old.There were adults.
这里有六个月大的孩子。有成年人。
So, as we watched these people come one by one,
所以,当我们看着这些人一个接一个来的时候,
it just reinforced how broad and deep this epidemic of gun violence is.
我们更深刻地意识到,枪支暴力的毒害是多么深远和广泛。
I was robbed of my childhood on September 25, 2009when my father took his own life.
2009年9月25日,我的童年被彻底剥夺了,我的父亲饮弹自杀。
My 18 year old daughter, Julia, was seven when her father died of gun suicide.
我的女儿茱莉亚现在已经18了,她爸爸自杀的那一年她才7岁。
I miss my dad.
我想念我爸爸。
And its really hard for me to hear her express her grief and her loss.
听到她诉说她的痛苦和难过,我很不好受。
I so admire her for doing it and I think shes changing hearts and minds,
我很佩服她这么做,我认为她改变了人们的想法,
and I completely encourage her to keep doing it but its rough for me to listen to.
我完全鼓励她继续这样做,但我听着太难过了。
My friends, the vigil has ended and the work begins.Let us be people of power and honor with action.
我的朋友们,守夜结束了,工作也开始了。让我们用行动,成为有力量、有荣誉的人。
So, its time to be together to express our grief and express our appreciation for our loved ones.
所以,是时候在一起表达我们的悲伤和对我们所爱之人的感激之情了。
And then, its also a time to talk about how we can make change
然后,我们也要讨论如何做出改变,
so other families dont have to go through what we have.
让其他家庭不要再遭受相同的痛苦。
The next day, we hit the streets.We went to Capitol Hill and did a press conference.
第二天,我们会到街上去。我们去了国会山,开了一个记者招待会。
Seven years ago, I lost my seven year old brother, Daniel, in the Sandy Hook school shooting.
七年前,我七岁的弟弟丹尼尔在桑迪胡克学校的枪击案中丧生。
My life is changed forever.
我的生活永远改变了。
At the press conference,there were survivors of domestic violence, of street violence, of suicide, of mass school shootings.
在记者招待会上,有家庭暴力、街头暴力、自杀和学校集体枪击事件的幸存者。
The common thread between all of those is that
所有这些之间的共同点是
easy access to a gun turns an impulse into a tragedy.
人们获取枪支的方式过于容易,然后冲动就会变成悲剧。
Darien Richardson, age 25.
达里安·理查森,享年25岁。
I want red flag laws in every state.Right now, weve got 17 states.
我希望每个州的都能有枪支红旗法。现在17个州已经通过了。
This law would allow a concerned family member or law enforcement
这项法律可以让相关的家庭成员或执法人员,
to temporarily remove a gun from somebody who is in crisis.
暂时没收有风险人士的枪支。
My husband, Scott Spoor, was 43.
我丈夫斯科特·斯帕特,享年43岁。
If that red flag law had existed, I would have taken advantage of it.
如果当时有红旗法,我肯定会用的。
And then months later, when my husband hit a low point again,
然后几个月后,等到我的丈夫情绪又低落时,
there wouldnt have been a gun in the house.Its that simple.
家里就不会再有枪了。就这么简单。
Guns are a totally different type of a tool when it comes to suicide
当涉及到自杀时,枪是一种完全不同的工具
because they are so much more lethal.Theres no comparison to other less lethal method.
因为它们更致命。没有其他的自杀方式能出其右。
This isnt just about my family.22,000 Americans die every year of gun suicide including 1,000 children.
这不仅仅是为了我的家人。每年有22000名美国人死于枪支自杀,其中包括1000名儿童。
I think a lot of people feel overwhelmed and powerless
我想很多人都会感到不知所措和无能为力
but when you do start to get involved,you see that individuals can have a say in things.
但当时真正参与到这项事业中来时,你会看到每个人都有发言权。
Where the gun debate bothers me, as a hunter, is when we are teaching people that
作为一名职业猎人,人们关于枪支的争论有一点令我特别担心,在这些讨论中,我们实际在告诉人们
guns are dangerous or that guns are something that you should fear
枪支是危险的,你要害怕枪支,
to the extent that becomes the way our culture thinks instead of teaching them to respect them.
现在这种思想已经成了我们的文化定式,而不是让人们去尊重枪支。

将本页收藏到:
上一篇:VOA常速英语:Global Political Campaigns Draw on US Expertise to Win Elections
下一篇:VOA常速英语:US Struggling to Slow Coronavirus Spread

最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved